Dear St. Vrain Valley Community,
It has been an outstanding start to the academic year and I want to thank our students, families, teachers, staff and other partners for continuing to support St. Vrain Valley Schools’ drive for excellence in serving our community and advancing public education.
K-12 Language Arts is part of the Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction at the Learning Services Center. The Language Arts Department oversees and supports the development and implementation of Tier 1 curriculum, assessment, and instruction for Language Arts in the St. Vrain Valley School District.
The K-12 Language Arts Coordinator is responsible for the following to support our community, parents, administrators, teachers, and students in the St. Vrain Valley School District:
- Support the effective implementation of the adopted instructional materials for Language Arts K-12
- Align instructional materials for Language Arts to the Colorado Academic Standards PK-12, ensuring a rigorous, guaranteed & viable curriculum for all students
- Support the design, implementation, and interpretation of District-wide Language Arts assessments
- Customize support for school-based improvement goals based on identified needs in Language Arts achievement
- Identify, design, and coordinate professional development opportunities in Language Arts for District teachers
- Facilitate quarterly teacher leadership team meetings focused on instruction and student achievement
- Facilitate the Language Arts program/textbook adoption process and monitor the piloting of candidate programs/textbooks
- Communicate with the Board of Education, District staff, and the public regarding the District Language Arts program
Committees & Assemblies
The Department of Assessment, Curriculum, and Instruction has established teacher leadership teams with representation from each building to support District initiatives, District achievement goals, professional development, and instructional programming in Language Arts. The Elementary, Middle School, and High School Language Arts Leadership Teams meet quarterly as a communication and support link between teachers, schools, and the District.
Language Arts Department News
The Elementary Language Arts Adoption Committee invites teachers, administrators, parents and community members from the St. Vrain Valley School District to review and provide input in the selection of a pilot Language Arts program.
The committee is responsible for evaluating instructional materials, participating in publisher presentations, and selecting a pilot curriculum series for the 2015-2016 school year.